Saturday, January 15, 2011

Service Learning: It Has Begun!

We have begun the preliminary stages of our service learning project. This week we have contacted Planned Parenthood to get the "Okay" to do our service learning project with them. I was not the one in the group who contacted them and I have yet to hear how that went. It makes me a little nervous but I am also very excited to get out into the community to teach awareness about...something. We still haven't decided what we're going to do our teaching project on either. I think that will come after we have had a discussion with the people at Planned Parenthood. I think that our lecture on adult learning gave us some tips for our learning projects. The most poignant slide, I found, was the one titled "Teaching/Learning Factors." Our group was thinking of using pamphlets to teach our information along with conversation with people who come to our kiosk of information. So the retention rate of our learners will be better than that of just those with whom we would lecture. I hope that they will put their learning to immediate use (be it by practicing safe sex or washing their hands) so they will retain the information the best.

I believe that being an adult learner and learning about adult learnig can help me greatly in my own life and in the lives of those that I educate. I believe that understanding why we're doing something (such as learning) can help us in succeeding in the activity (learning!). By understanding how important learning is to my career and to my life in general I think that it will help me to grow as a person. Also, knowing how other adults like to learn and how they learn the best can help me when I educate someone about their health or health in general.

I really hope that my group gets the service learning project that we are trrying to get. It will give me the opportunity to educate women (mostly women, I assume) about keeping their bodies safe and healthy. I have had a soft spot for the subject ever since I had to have one of my ovaries removed when I was 19. The removal was not caused by anything that I did but it made me more aware of my body and the need to be vigilant in it's care. I was afraid that I would not be able to have children if something else bad happened so I went to the doctor and was given information on how to save my eggs through birth control. This was a huge relief to me. I think that it will be satisfying to be able to give other women the same kind of relief through my teaching.

I believe that teaching this sensitive subject can help me learn how to teach while being non-judgemental of others choices. I am sure it is a hard thing for some people to do but I am also sure that I can do it and learn a lot from the experience. I also believe that completing this project with two other people from class can help me to learn collaborative work in relation to nursing. We all have to do our part and we all have to help each other when we go to actually teach. It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

I feel like women's health nursing is something that I can truly be passionate about and what a great place to start! I believe that beginning to learn this information now and starting contact with the community I would be working with in the future would greatly benefit me if I were to become a Women's Health Nurse Practitioner or hold a job similar in function. . I believe that my colleagues (classmates) could benefit by seeing this side of healthcare because they may choose to make this their career as well. I am very grateful that I may have the opportunity to work with this community so early in my nursing career.

No comments:

Post a Comment