Saturday, March 5, 2011

Week 8 - Halfway There!

What?

The semester is halfway over and the only hours I have so for the service learning project are prep hours. I wonder if I could count the 6 weeks of looking for a project towards my hours....probably not. We got word from the teacher that we are working with that he wants us to teach about reading nutrition labels and important nutrients. This is a different from what I originally thought we were teaching but that's okay. I think that teaching about nutrition labels will be more challenging than teaching about eating disorders but I am up for the challenge.

We mostly discussed the test in class this week. I think that it helped a lot to talk about it because it helped to clarify the rationale behind some of the questions that I got wrong; even though most of those were dropped.

So What?

Reading nutrition labels is really important for young people to understand. Being able to read nutrition labels can help people to make better decisions about the food that they eat. When healthy habits are started young they are easier to maintain throughout the lifetime. I think that we will also bring in the nutrition facts of foods from popular restaurants. I hope that this will open the eyes of the kids to what they are really consuming when they eat their favorite foods.

I'm glad I got to see the questions that were dropped on the test. It made me more confident for the next test.

Now What?

I really need to brush up on reading nutrition labels. I was looking at a nutrition label the other day and I could only remember a few of the main points of reading labels. I think that it will also help to prepare more than enough material to cover the 80 minutes of each class. I would hate to run short of things to do and have a class of 30 teenagers just staring at me. I'm going to spend some time practicing the important points of the lecture. I often get nervous when speaking in front of people so I think that practicing will help calm my nerves and help me to remember everything I need to teach.

Now that I know the rationale behind a lot of the questions I can direct my studying in a different way. This will help me to do better on the next test. I think that I will have less anxiety about the next test as well because I already know the testing style.

No comments:

Post a Comment