Sunday, February 20, 2011

Week 6 - Finally!

What?

We have a service learning project! Our contract is signed and we're ready to start! We're going to be teaching a couple of high school health classes about eating disorders. The teacher will approve the material we prepare and then we just go teach. I think it will be several 80 minute class periods. I'm pretty stoked because I am so stressed out from looking for projects that I would have taken any that come my way.

We didn't have class this week so there's nothing to talk about there. I wasn't too happy with my test score. I will just have to study harder for the next one.

So what?

Now that we have a project to do we can get our experience in service learning. I always thought about what it would be like to be a teacher. I never really considered it because I really did not like k-12 school. I don't know if I just went to bad schools or what. I also really don't like public speaking. I know that it's a little bit different when you're the teacher and you're in charge of the class but then you get everyone complaining at you when they don't like your style of teaching or they don't like the grade they get. I just don't want to deal with it. At least with this project I won't technically be in charge of the class so I'll only have to deal with the public speaking bit.

I was kind of hoping that our service learning project would be in a field that I enjoy or am interested in but since that is not an option this far into the semester I will test out my skills as a teacher. I hope that there will be more opportunities to explore my interests/passions in the future.

Now what?

We're going to have to start gathering our information for the powerpoint and activities we'll be doing in the classes. It seems like it will take a lot of work but we do have 10 hours worth of prep time that we need to fill anyway. Hopefully it doesn't take too much longer than 10 hours because that is already a lot between all of the other coursework we have to do this semester.

We're also going to have to get started on that 10 page paper we have to do along with the service learning. I am not really sure that we'll have enough information to fill up 10 pages worth of writing but it will all work out in the end, I am sure of it.

I always have to remind myself that when all of this hard work is over, I'll be a nurse. That is the most exciting thing of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment